Title: Membership Director
Term: 2 years
Method of Appointment: Elected by Membership at Annual General Meeting
Reporting Structure: Reports to the Executive
Time Commitment: 1 hour per week
The Manitoba Library Association (MLA) is a provincial, voluntary, incorporated association with both personal and institutional members. As a registered charity, our Association has a strictly non-profit, educational orientation. Our Mission is to provide leadership in the promotion, development, and support of library and information services in Manitoba for the benefit of MLA members, the library and information community and the citizens of Manitoba. Our Goals are to:
- promote public awareness of library services and library issues in Manitoba.
- promote and foster ties among the individuals, organizations, and institutions in the library community and information resource management sector in Manitoba and Canada.
- provide educational opportunities in the library field throughout Manitoba.
- advocate the development of comprehensive and accessible library and information services throughout Manitoba.
- disseminate information, which supports the goals and objectives of the Association and the welfare of the library community, locally and nationally.
- strive for the continued membership growth of the Association and in both rural and urban Manitoba.
- ensure the Association’s fiscal stability and accountability.
The Membership Director organizes and tracks the Association’s membership list. S/he is responsible for recruitment of new members in collaboration with other Board members, as well as encouraging renewal of existing members. With the understanding that membership is the main source of revenue for the Association, the Membership Director closely monitors membership, reporting increases and decreases to the Board.
Benefits of the Position:
- Opportunity to expand on and/or develop skills relevant to the profession in a safe and supportive environment
- Develop a rich and fulsome portfolio of experiences and strengthen your Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Satisfaction of making a difference in the community
- Opportunity to connect with other, committed individuals in the profession and throughout Manitoba
- Ability to network with colleagues across Manitoba
- Increased understanding of group dynamics and relationships
- May have the opportunity to represent the Association at the national level, through The Partnership, which the Association is a member of
- A commitment to, and a clear understanding of, the mission and vision of the Association
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- A self-starter and willingness to learn
Desirable Skills and/or Experience:
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word)
- Experience with membership software
- Regularly attends scheduled meetings
- Tracks member list using software provided
- Contacts members regarding renewal of membership
- Liaise with the MLA Treasurer to ensure that membership payments are received and receipts are issued in a timely fashion
- Develops a plan and actively works to recruit new members
- Works with Board members to communicate with membership when required
- Orients incoming Membership Director
- Maintains the membership list
- Provide a brief written report of activities for the Annual Report
- Provide a monthly report at the board meeting indicating changes and updates related to membership over the previous month
- Provide a report to membership at the Annual General Meeting on general activities and accomplishments
Review Date: 20 August 2018; KM
Approval Date:01 November 2018