Term: 2 years
Method of Appointment: Elected by Membership at Annual General Meeting
Reporting Structure: Reports to the President
Time Commitment: 1 hour per week
The Manitoba Library Association (MLA) is a provincial, voluntary, incorporated association with both personal and institutional members. As a registered charity, our Association has a strictly non-profit, educational orientation. Our Mission is to provide leadership in the promotion, development, and support of library and information services in Manitoba for the benefit of MLA members, the library and information community and the citizens of Manitoba. Our Goals are to:
- promote public awareness of library services and library issues in Manitoba.
- promote and foster ties among the individuals, organizations, and institutions in the library community and information resource management sector in Manitoba and Canada.
- provide educational opportunities in the library field throughout Manitoba.
- advocate the development of comprehensive and accessible library and information services throughout Manitoba.
- disseminate information, which supports the goals and objectives of the Association and the welfare of the library community, locally and nationally.
- strive for the continued membership growth of the Association and in both rural and urban Manitoba.
- ensure the Association’s fiscal stability and accountability.
The Secretary is an Executive member of the Association and works closely with the President in the planning of board of directors and association meetings. The Secretary offers administrative support to the Executive and helps to ensure the smooth operation of meetings and the sharing of Association correspondence among the Executive and Board of Directors.
Benefits of the Position:
- Opportunity to expand on and/or develop skills relevant to the profession in a safe and supportive environment
- Develop a rich and fulsome portfolio of experiences and strengthen your Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Satisfaction of making a difference in the community
- Opportunity to connect with other, committed individuals in the profession and throughout Manitoba
- Ability to network with colleagues across Manitoba
- Increased understanding of group dynamics and relationships
- May have the opportunity to represent the Association at the national level, through The Partnership, which the Association is a member of
- A commitment to, and a clear understanding of, the mission and vision of the Association
- Knowledge of the meeting procedures, decision-making rules, governance policies and the bylaws and constitution of the Association
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Detail oriented
- Experience with Microsoft Word
Desirable Skills and/or Experience:
- One year of previous service on a Board
- One year of experience with minute taking
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Serves on the Executive Committee
- Regularly attends scheduled meetings
- Creates meeting agendas and distributes to Committee members in advance of meetings
- Keeps accurate minutes of Board meetings, including recording all motions and decisions of meetings, ensuring quorum, and recording Board attendance.
- Edits meeting minutes as appropriate and files final, approved minutes
- Files and keeps electronic copies of Board meetings and other Association documents
- Maintains master list of passwords
- Maintains and assigns office keys and swipe cards
- Serves as a secondary signer on Board bank account
- Conducts general Board correspondence
- Monitors the Secretary email account
- Liaises with other library associations as required
- Orients incoming Secretary
- Ensures all documents are maintained in accordance with MLA policy
- Update policies as required
- Record and track assigned office keys and swipe cards
- Schedule meetings, book meeting space, arrange catering, and inform attendees of meeting details
- Record, distribute and post online meeting minutes
- Regularly check email and paper mail at MLA office
- Report to AGM on general activities and individual deliverables
Review Date: 20 August 2018; KM
Approval Date:01 November 2018